People worry about the danger on the streets of New York City. Many people from my hometown fret about my safety living in the Big Apple, but what little do they know about the life threatening dangers on the back roads of Lawtey, Florida.

I’ve always been terrified of the dogs that roam around these parts, and of course the snakes in the summer time, but today was my first encounter with a creature that I did not expect to ruin my run.

To make this adventure worse, things were not flowing too smoothly to begin with. Skylar misplaced my running headphones, my shoes are about 60 miles overdue, which is why I was seeking out nothing but dirt roads to save the wear and tear on my precious shins and joints, and unlike other days- it was a force to lace up and get out there.

Thinking that I would see the sunny side once I got running was almost the case. I used the unbearable headphones, but resorted to taping them into my ears with the only tape I could find around this place- black electrical tape. Granted, I looked like a fool running down the road with black tape covering my ears, but I was already self-aware that the amount of patience I had today would not sustain getting sweaty and my ear buds constantly falling out.

I had Taylor Swift running along with me in my securely tapped-up ears and things were starting to shape up, but as I turned on my second dirt road, which is not a typical path, I ran into an annoying, slightly intimidating school of dogs that would not let up on the barking for me to cross their path. It wasn’t until a little old lady in a golf cart came bumping down her unruly driveway with way too many pot holes, in my opinion, was I comfortable enough to make a run for it past these vicious dogs. Sadly, it wasn’t an out of the ordinary encounter, so I  sucked it up, put Taylor back on and tried to get this near impossible run going again.

Right when I was feeling some adrenaline and pleased with my decision to run, I ran into the last obstacle that I could possible take– A free, un-gated, wild, white horse! I don’t know where it came from, if it got loose from a horse barn around here, if he was looking for his home, or as far as I was concerned- a wild stallion that couldn’t be tamed. The only thing I knew was that I am not a horsewhisperer, I couldn’t run past this thing, I couldn’t turn around and face the wolf-pack again, and this run was definitely over. I was stuck in limbo!!

The only thing working in my favor today was the fact that Rusti lived right around the corner and I had my phone to call for help. Within 3 minutes, Rusti, Steve, Trace, Drake, and little Reece came to my rescue, even though I’m pretty sure it was for their entertainment of my humiliation, rather than true concern that Seabiscuit was going to eat me.

None of that mattered to me when I jumped in the back of the truck and went back home with them. After a while of hanging with the Barber crew and 2 Christmas rice krispy treats later, I decided to take the other way home and get there before it started raining on me.

Aside from regretting the sweets that I ate at Rusti’s, the run home was a success:  I was creature free, I didn’t get rained on and made it safely with nothing more than a tummy ache and quick little video to share that reveals the live encounter I had with my wild horsey today.

Click this link to see the video: Taylor’s Blog Video